Monday, May 28, 2012

Yarn Bombed Chair


Here it is!  My first attempt at yarn bombing.  What do you think?

Just in case you're wondering - yarn bombing is a kind of graffiti using yarn or fiber instead of paint or chalk to create colorful displays (yes, I'm paraphrasing from Wikipedia).

I've been itching to try it for quite some time, but couldn't decide what I wanted to encase in yarn.  Something simple.  Something functional.  Something at home (no wrapping up trees or park benches for me).  I decided to start with a child sized chair when I came up a picture of a yarn bombed chair from Lion Brand Yarn.


Luck was with me when I salvaged this little chair from my apartment building's trash pile.  Love it when my neighbors toss out things I can work with!  I hauled the chair back upstairs, peeled off the stickers, gave the chair a good scrubbing and then set it aside until I had the right combination of yarn to pair with it.


Around the time I found the chair, I was also learning how to crochet granny squares.  I intended to make the "Granny Greenbag" project from that Craft Activism book I told you about a few months ago.  I chose to use the cheerful Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton yarns for the project, bought all ten colors and started churning out granny squares.

Then, as it so often happens, I changed my mind mid-way through the project and decided I'd rather use the granny squares on my chair instead of making a shopping bag.


So I pieced the squares together and crocheted edges that would be folded under and attached under the wooden seat.


I used a staple gun around the edges (under the seat) to secure the crocheted seat cover to the wood.  Then I simply wrapped yarn around the three chair slats.


I crocheted a little turquoise and yellow cap to slide over the top of the chair back.  As you can see, I had a little trouble piecing the rectangles together...  yes, it's crooked, but still, I think the red contrast looks right against the blue and yellow.


Lastly, I used one of the flower patterns I found on Pinterest to create a few flowers to sprinkle across the back of the chair cap.

And I was finished.

Initially, I'd planned to yarn bomb my chair much as the Lion Brand chair had been - 100% covered in yarn.  However, I decided leaving parts of the wood exposed actually lent a more summery feel to the finished piece and contrasted beautifully with the bright yarn colors.

So there it is.  My first stab at yarn bombing.  Fun.  A little challenging to figure out the necessary shapes to make the seat cover.  Definitely time consuming.  But worth it, because now I can say that I've yarn bombed!

And, since I stopped when I did, I have plenty of left-over yarn and a couple of really exciting ideas about what to do with it.  Would love to have another crocheted item or two to share with you before the week is out, so I guess I should stop blabbing and get crocheting!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Val, the books arrived and they are beautiful. I can' t thank you enough. Your yarn bomber is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the books made it to you. Enjoy!

      Thanks for your positive feedback on my little chair. The bright colors make me happy every time I look at them. Almost ready to show what I did with the rest of that yarn.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful little chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this project of yours, and featured it in our Lion Brand blog post today! I'm so happy that I came across it... I look forward to seeing what else you create.

    http://blog.lionbrand.com/2012/06/04/5-fun-summertime-projects-from-crafty-bloggers/

    Brandyce - (Lion Brand Yarn Marketing Communications Coordinator).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandyce!

      It's really exciting to me to be included on your summertime project post.

      I've always loved crafting things but now it's more fun than ever since I can share my results.

      I also enjoyed looking at the other projects you shared & want to try making those baby sandals soon!

      Delete
  4. The look of the chair is just wonderful! I have a couple of IKEA chairs that I think are ripe for yarn bombing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'd love to hear how your chairs turn out.

      Delete
  5. I love your chair. The colors go very well together and look amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fantastic little project. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! Found you on Lion Brand. I will have to try this on a $10 chair I got at a Flea Market that's in serious need of help, but it's almost the exact same construction as your chair. Love the colors! mymerrymessylife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let me know how your chair works out.

      Are you going to use a staple gun to attach? I had a little trouble getting the staples in straight. If I do this again, I'm going to try upholstery tacks/nails instead.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! I saw this one on the Lion Brand website today and was immediately hooked! I think it is a good idea to still show some wood and not cover the whole chair completely. Has a better feel to it, I guess.

    Now I'm thinking about doing the same with our old hand-me-down chairs in the kitchen.

    Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia - So glad you like this idea. Best of luck with your kitchen chairs. I'd love to hear about your results!

      Delete
  9. Val, when you wrapped the rungs of the chair, did you glue the yarn down so it would stay in place? Or just wind as tightly as you could and hope the yarn stays in place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,

      I did not use glue. I wrapped as tightly as I could, then I threaded the end back through the wound yarn, out towards the center, pulled it taut & then snipped visible end off.

      I think this will hold as long as the chair is only gently used. My boys have been sitting on the chair (even if they do complain that it's too girly). So far, so good. However, I may redo the wrapped part by just crocheting rectangles in the same solid colors & then stitching them to the rungs.

      Are you going to try gluing? I'd be interested to know how that works out for you.

      Since my kids want "boy" yarn bombed chairs, it looks like I'll be working on another round of chairs soon.

      Delete
  10. great idea and great colors

    ReplyDelete
  11. My fave bit is the top tab
    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep it up

    yarn exporter

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea! Love the colors

    ReplyDelete