Friday, June 29, 2012

T-shirt Yarn


My family's cotton t-shirts are no longer safe from my scissors & me.  I've discovered how much I enjoy cutting t-shirts up and converting them into "yarn."

If you are into crocheting or braiding and are interested in upcycling t-shirts, then I've got 2 great links to share with you.

If you're not into this stuff but have some t-shirts you want be rid of,  I'd be happy to relieve you of them.  The brighter and more obnoxious the color, the better.  I've got a project in mind that needs more shirts than Jin & the boys are willing to let me chop up... 


I've been kicking myself over the many 100% cotton t-shirts I tossed over the years.  All those corporate event t-shirts in loud colors that I hid so Jin wouldn't actually wear them.  T-shirts from races.  T-shirts from school.  Just about everything donated to textile recycling.

And then I stumbled across this awesome tutorial that showed me how to convert most of a t-shirt into one long "yarn" strand.


First cut was the hardest.  I worried I'd botch the cutting and ruin a perfectly good t-shirt.

Turned out to be easy & really fun.  My cutting was a little crooked, but this became less noticeable after I stretched the fabric & the sides curled up.

This cotton "yarn" is the perfect stuff to work with on a hot summer day.

The question became - what to make with my new yarn?  Not interested in making potholders.  Had enough with baskets for the moment.  Something quick... something functional...


Found the perfect project - converting t-shirts into 5-strand braided headbands.

I ended up making myself 3 headbands.  Super comfortable.  Perfect for keeping my hair off my face in the summer heat.

Note - if you make a headband for yourself, be sure to heed the instructions & make it quite snug.  The fabric will stretch out  and you won't want the headband sliding off too easily.

Now that I have a feel for this new "yarn," I'm ready to make lots more of it and crochet myself a ... ?  Care to guess what I have in mind?  Or perhaps make a suggestion?

5 comments:

  1. Very cool!! Neat idea and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this idea. And I'm really into headbands now with my hair so short (hence hard to put up) and the crazy heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try out the 5-strand braided headband. It's actually really easy once you get going. Be sure to make your headband snug enough. Mine stretched out a lot. Still super comfortable, but slides off too easily.

      Delete
  3. Hah! I see those R4K shirts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... guilty... at least now we know one way we can use all those t-shirts next year (do you ever have extras when the race is over?)

      Delete